Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I love Christmas. And not just a little --a lot! And one of the many things I enjoy about the holiday is the decorations. The world is simply more beautiful this time of year. The wreaths, garland, lights, holly, reds, greens, etc. that pop up everywhere put a smile on my face.

And I love adding touches of Christmas beauty or fun to my surroundings wherever possible (in tasteful moderation, of course) and soaking up those others have placed in my path. I don't have a lot of space or resources to indulge in as much Christmas decor as I would like, but I work with what I have and dream of having an apartment or home of my own to decorate someday. :)
So here's a sneak peek at some of the Christmas delights in my world.


My snowman tea light candle holder



My slightly cluttered bookshelf, aka holder of most of the Christmas decorations I put out in my room




My grandmother gave me this Christmas tree when I was a little girl. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I've probably had it about 15 years. I'll treasure it always.



A reminder of Christmases past... and yes, despite the fact that I worked at Chick-fil-A for five years, I still think the holiday cows are cute.



Photo of friends... and yet another Christmas candle (can you tell that I love candles, but don't have many places to put them lol)



I hang lights around my walls each Christmas, although this year I'm seriously considering leaving them up. I like the extra light they add.



Our Christmas tree--the picture doesn't do it justice :)



Our tree tells the story of our family. In addition to the ornaments my siblings and I made as kids, we add a new ornament to the tree annually that symbolizes something significant to our family from that year. This ornament is from 2005, the year I graduated high school.


A picture of my MeMaw (my mom's mom), our ornament for 2000, the year she died.



A Kansas ornament for 2007, the year my brother Andrew moved to Kansas City, Mo. (Yeah, he's really in Missouri, but we decided it was close enough.)



I've admired this ornament since I was a little girl. It doesn't have any particular significance, but I like the way the "stained glass" lights up when you stick a Christmas light inside the church.




We have too many "kid-crafted" ornaments to fit on the tree, so my mom rotates them out. This year, a stocking ornament with my five-year-old fingerprints is one of the few that made it to the branches. My brother has one like it, but I think he has it with him. We made them (or more accurately, stamped them) at the Fantasy of Trees.


A nice reminder :)


I've started my own "ornament of the year" collection and I was tickled pink to find this one. I thought I would end up having to pick either a UT or a graduation ornament, but this one combines both perfectly! :)





My car's Rudolph costume. Okay, I'll admit it, this may be a little over the top, but I thought it was simply too cute to pass up. I first saw this on a car a couple of years ago, and I've been searching for my own set ever since. I finally tracked one down this year and I was so excited!


My desk at work


Pictures of friends and family


My miniature Christmas tree


A couple of the directors decked the walls of the production booth with Christmas lights and I love it! They add a very cheery, festive touch to the booth.




The producer's area

And finally, I don't own this Willow Tree nativity set, but I dream of having one some day!

3 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

Personally, I don't think the Rudolph Car is over the top at all! I've enjoyed this small "window into your world", Liz. It tickles me to know that my favorite local TV station puts twinkle lights all around their production area at Christmastime!

Oh - and I had to look at your UT graduation ornament three times - it is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations again, on such a productive 2009! We are extremely blessed at Harvest Church to have you as part of the church family.

MrsWendy said...

Sheila beat me to it! :-) But I LOVE this 'window into your world', as Sheila said. LOVE IT! :-) And I too am dreaming of having a Willow Tree Nativity one day too. They are SO lovely!!

You are such a blessing Liz! ((((HUGS)))) I love you!

Janice Fancher said...

When Roger and I were very first married an older lady who I really looked up to encouraged me to dream big. To not be confinined by my current situation, which at the time was lack of space and money. You Liz love to decorate Christmasly and I LOVE it that you have not been confined by your lack of space! Your decorating is tasteful, elegant, thoughtful and sweet - thank you for sharing the beautiful memories of your family! (I also love decorating and each year Roger puts me on a new "big" project). Liz your life will increase as you move out on your own, marry and have a family - I am glad your already being you in this time! Your testimony and walk is such a blessing and godly example to our young women at church!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14