Monday, June 7, 2010

Aquarium cookies and massages

Interesting title, hmm? :)

But it nicely sums up some of the simple joys I have found in my day.

There aren't many perks to working an early morning shift--especially an extended run of them--so I try to make the most of the ones that come my way.

Every few months or so, the public relations guy for the Tennessee Aquarium comes to our studio for an interview during the 6 a.m. show. He always talks about the latest news at the aquarium and usually mentions some of the best things to do in Chattanooga during a given season. He's a great interview and a genuinely nice guy. By the time he wraps up his interviews, I'm usually itching to take a trip to Chatty.

But the real reason everyone at the station awaits his interviews with anticipation is because he always brings in a box full of the *best* iced cookies. His wife owns a bakery in Signal Mountain and she always makes us the cutest, tastiest aquarium-themed cookies you'll ever see (or eat). The icing is smooth and stable, the cookies are nice and even, both taste great and she always packages them beautifully.



Someday I want to be able to make iced cookies that look and taste that amazing.


The next highlight of my day came when I realized that tomorrow is the day the massage therapist/reflexologist who comes out to the station once a month is scheduled. I don't usually work Tuesdays and when I am scheduled an extra day (such as this week) or called in, it's never on the weeks she is here.

But as I was getting ready to leave this afternoon, our newsroom administrative assistant sent out an e-mail reminder about reflexology tomorrow. And guess who has to work an extra shift tomorrow morning? Yep! I signed up for a 15-minute massage/reflexology appointment as soon as my shift ends at 1 p.m. tomorrow.

I can't think of a better way to end an extended work week, particularly one with extra morning shifts. :)

Working an extended work week with extra early morning shifts is my least favorite and I'm usually utterly exhausted by the time I reach the end of it. So sometimes it's hard not to have a negative attitude about it or at the very least dread it, which obviously only makes it worse. I've approached schedules like this from both angles before, and this time I was determined not to let it get me down. So I've been tickled pink to find these little unexpected joys that have come along to brighten my day. It shouldn't have surprised me though. God's grace is sufficient to give me the rest that I need and make me smile and laugh at just the right moments to help carry me through my day. He is always looking for ways to express his love to us--even if it something as simple as a cookie to put a smile on our face.

A song I've been listening to off a new worship CD I bought recently keeps running through my head, "He loves us! Oh, how he loves us! Oh, how he loves us! Oh, how he loves!"

Days like this always make me wonder how many other little blessings I fail to notice on a daily basis, simply because I'm not paying attention. God is always speaking and always showering us with his love. Maybe it doesn't always manifest itself in such a tangible way as cookies and massages, but his presence is always with us and examples of his love for us abound. His loving-kindness is new every morning.

Isn't God amazing?!?

2 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

I adore the cookie with the bite out of it at the end of this post! PERFECT!

I'm jealous of your massage. ;-)

Liz, you are consistently covered in prayer, as you weather this season, my friend. You are one of the hardest working, most talented women I know.

Liz Overton said...

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement! I appreciate it. :)

lol My massage was actually rather painful at times. She gives deep massages and apparently I was very tight in my neck and shoulders, so she tried to work out as many knots as she could in 15 minutes. It still felt good overall though. :)

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14