Thursday, October 2, 2008

All self-respecting political junkies...

...will have their TVs tuned to the vice-presidential debate tonight at 9.

And I, for one, can't wait to watch it.

I've had tonight's debate marked on my calendar since I could find out the date.

I'm sure the ratings numbers of people tuning in tonight will be through the roof. My prediction is that this vice-presidential debate will draw an exponentially larger audience than any of the presidential debates. Especially after all the recent talk surrounding Gov. Sarah Palin's interviews with Charles Gibson and Katie Couric.

*Warning: I don't think I've really mentioned any of my political views, at least openly, on this blog yet. But I'm about to. So be forewarned: the next paragraph contains blatant personal opinion and venting. Ignore or read as you please. Feel free to agree or disagree.*

In light of that, I can't wait to watch Gov. Palin kick Sen. Biden's tail tonight. Just because she doesn't have a scripted, carefully crafted answer to immediately spit back when asked a question doesn't make her unintelligent or ill-qualified! And don't even get me started on "dodging questions!" Have any of those outspoken Palin critics ever watched Sen. Obama give an interview? Puh-leeze! Talk about dodging questions!

*end of venting*

So anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the debate tonight. In all seriousness, it will no doubt be an important mile marker in this year's election race.

3 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

Oh Liz! *tragic squeak*

I...missed...the debate. YES, I, the political junkie...missed it.

*sniff*

Who do you think REALLY did the best?

Liz Overton said...

Don't worry about missing it. (I know you aren't, but I also know you would have liked to watch it.) I've missed all of the presidential debates so far. Fortunately, my schedule allowed me to watch the VP debate. This post was my way of having a little bit of fun with my blog on that particular day. My journalism and English instructors would have had my head for the use of the word "all" instead of "many" or "most" and a little exaggeration. But it's my blog so I don't care. ;) LOL

In all honesty, I'm not sure that either one did better than the other. I'd like to think that *maybe* Palin did a little better than Biden, but objectively, I'm not really sure. They both did a good job--but not a stellar one. Palin did well, but not as well as I had hoped. In my opinion, I don't think either candidate "won." After I watched the debate, I knew that both sides would claim victory, while I'm not sure either one was really victorious.

Palin did kind of overuse the whole "maverick" term when referring to herself and McCain and didn't answer as many of the questions head-on as I would have liked, but Biden kept repeating himself and made me want to gag constantly talking about relating to "Main Street" America. Like I'm going to believe that someone who's been in Washington as long as he has lives in a normal neighborhood. Give me a break.

I guess I was just hoping that they would get into it a little more. I wanted to watch more of a showdown. I know either one of them could get into it more than they did. But I think they were both trying to play it a little safe. Or rather, the McCain and Obama campaigns wanted them to play it safe. ;) I was too optimistic I guess. *sigh*

Unknown said...

From a fellow "political junkie" . . . Your blatant personal opinion and venting was totally appreciated and savored!! I look forward to the last presidential debate . . . where I fervently hope to see some real fireworks!!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14