Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Giving thanks: Psalm 118

I haven't posted in a while because I've been tied up with school projects, but I wanted to take just a second today and post a quick little something.

With Thanksgiving only a little over a week away, many people are busy with holiday preparations, approaching finals and final projects in school, etc. But are we pausing in the midst of the chaos to give thanks? I know I haven't been as much as I should have--but it's never too late to start! :)

The book of Psalms is full of passages expressing thanksgiving to God. Psalm 118 is one example. I would encourage you to take a moment to read it today (it's not long) and give thanks to God for all He has done--and is doing--in your life. I will take some time out to do the same. If you're having trouble finding things to be thankful for, start with the basics: life, salvation, food to eat, a roof over your head, etc. Once you start, other things will come to mind.

Giving thanks should be a regular part of our lives--not just something we do once a year on the fourth Thursday in November.

1 comment:

Sheila Atchley said...

Excellent word, Liz! You are right...it is very easy to get into the chaotic busy-ness of the holidays (ooooh, I can't stand it...it wears me down into my soul!) and forget WHY we are celebrating.

I am so grateful that you are reminding everyone!

Have a blessed week...you are dearly loved and missed at Harvest. "Soon enough", though, we shall be seeing you again!!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14