Friday, January 13, 2012

Out on My Own

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to talking about a major, very exciting event in my life.

On November 5, I moved into my own two-story, one-bedroom townhouse!

I've waited and worked and saved money toward moving out on my own for years and the timing was finally right. I love my family and I am very blessed that they allowed me to stay at home, rent-free with few expectations or obligations, for as long as I wanted or needed. But I was very ready to be out on my own. I've always been independent and I had hoped all through college to move out shortly after graduation, but that didn't work out. More than two years later though--here I am!

I love my townhouse. It's one-bedroom and affordably priced, especially for its rather large size (895 square feet). The complex is older, but they've renovated it over the years so the apartments look good. The exterior of the buildings were recently painted and before I moved into my townhouse they put in new carpet, countertops and fixtures. I didn't know they were going to do that so it was a nice surprise.

And the closet space! There are closets everywhere! I went from sharing a small closet in a small bedroom with my sister, to having a large closet in my room, a large closet downstairs, a tiny one in the bathroom and a small one in the upstairs hall that's perfect for storing laundry. And a small storage unit off the back patio. Heaven!

When I looked out my back patio for the first time, I was delighted to discover that one of the apartment complex's picnic areas (grill and picnic table) is located only yards from the my back patio. One of the complex's pools is also super close. That will be perfect for summer entertaining! (Especially since grills are not allowed at individual apartments, per Knox County law.)

Most of all, I love the fact that I am finally at a place to practice hospitality. I've dreamed for years of being able to host girls nights, fellowship gatherings, dinners, parties, etc. I hosted a party and a youth leaders' meeting over the holidays and I look forward to the opportunity to do even more now that we've moved past that especially busy season.

I've also dreamed for years of having my own place to decorate (and my own kitchen). My home is still a work in progress and I've added a few things since I took these pictures a few weeks after I moved in, but here are a few pictures of my place.


The landing at the top of the stairs. I've replaced the pale flowers with a vase of silk red roses that add a nice pop of color to the area.


Upstairs bathroom (the full bath)


My kitchen :)


My kitchen from another angle



I saw that wall decal on Amazon and I had to have it. It's the perfect finishing touch.





My downstairs half bath is lighthouse-themed. It's tiny, so it's hard to show pictures of it. But it's nice to have a downstairs bathroom option, especially when I have guests.




My dining area. The wall decal says "Good company always welcome."



My living room. I've added some other stuff since then. The red curtains hide the white patio blinds and my patio door. I'm not a fan of the look of the blinds, plus I wanted the option to add some color to the room, so my dad graciously agreed to hang a curtain rod up for me.


I love books. And I have a lot of them. Everywhere.




For some reason I haven't taken any pictures of my bedroom yet, but I will try to do that soon and post them as well.

So that's the quick tour!

Hopefully one day I'll get the chance to give you a tour in person, followed up by a cup of coffee and some cookies over conversation.

My prayer for my new home is that it will be a place where people feel the presence of God and feel comfortable and at home as soon as they walk through the door. I want it to be a welcoming place where people leave touched and encouraged and blessed.

So come on over! :)

No comments:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14