Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Give me, O Lord, a thankful heart

That has been the cry of heart lately. Help me to be more thankful, Lord.

I'm not nearly thankful enough. When I stop to think about it, I am so blessed it's ridiculous. So why is my heart not overflowing with thanksgiving all the time (as it should be)? Why have I caught myself whining more than giving thanks lately?

I am thankful that God has been opening my eyes to my lack of thanksgiving. I'm starting to really hear what I'm saying when I'm whining or complaining--and I don't like it at all.

Instead of being thankful that I am able to go to school--and even able to do it at very little monetary cost with no loans of any kind--I've found myself whining about wanting to be finished, how much I don't want to do my assignments or UT's policies. Instead of being thankful that I have a well-paying job (for a college student) with a flexible schedule, good atmosphere, and a good boss who thinks highly of me-- I whine about the things that don't go right at work. I've whined about the weather, fatigue, etc.

So I'm asking God to help me be more thankful, a prayer he seems all to ready to answer. And he is. Also as my friends, if you notice me whining, don't be afraid to bring it to my attention and gently tell me to stop. I won't mind.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100:4-5

No comments:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14