Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Not to worry

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
John 14:1

"If you love me, you will obey what I command."
John 14:15


Over and over throughout Scripture, we are commanded not to worry. We are told to simply trust God, not worry about what tomorrow may bring, and not be afraid.

This is one of the many things God has been speaking to my heart over the past few months. Basically, if I'm truly living a life sold out to God, I shouldn't be worrying about anything. Period. God promises he will take care of us, so I should take him at his Word and not sweat it. I have to trust, even when I can't see.

When I worry, not only am I calling God a liar (because he promises to meet our needs), but I'm disobeying his command to not worry. And, if I'm worrying about something, it's a pretty good indicator I am trying to have some degree of control over the situation, instead of leaving my life surrendered in God's hands. Worrying is also kind of pointless: "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27). So true, yet so easy to forget in the moment.

Basically, when I worry, I'm just messing up left and right.

This isn't an easy lesson to learn and I know I'll never completely grasp it, no matter how hard I try. But nevertheless, I am going to try my best to live my entire life in this way. I do love the Lord, so I want to obey his Word. Which means no worrying. No matter how tempting it may be.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14