Sunday, September 14, 2008

Meeting with God at Panera Bread

Every time we read the Word, pray, worship or converse with God, we meet with Him. However, there are those times every once in a while, where I can walk away from time spent in God's presence and say, "Wow, I really met with God today." Really, it's no different from any other relationship. There are times when I hang out with my friends and it's fun, but not extraordinary. And then there are those times when I spend time with my friends and I walk away thinking, "Wow, I made some memories today that I'll treasure the rest of my life."

Friday was one of those days.

Thursday, while I was thinking ahead to the plans I had for Friday, I felt prompted to skip my workout and go straight to Panera Bread after class. Usually, on Fridays, since I get out of class pretty early in the day, I go to class, go workout at T-RECS, and then head to Panera to study before going to work. I usually only make it to the gym on Wednesdays and Fridays, so I try to protect that time and stick with my commitment to exercise at least a couple of times a week. I've never been much on an exerciser, so since last fall, when I finally started exercising on a regular basis, no matter how busy I am, I at least try to exercise some. I don't want revert back to my no-exercise habits.

But Thursday, I felt like God told me to scratch my exercising plans, head straight over to Panera from class, and use the time I would have spent exercising to extend my quiet time with God. I felt like God told me if I would do that, he would meet me there. It was like God was saying, "Hey! I miss you. Come spend some time with me."

The past week or so have been pretty busy for me, so I haven't spent nearly as much time as I would have liked to in the Word, in prayer, and in God's presence. So I've found myself desiring more time with the Lord over the past couple of days. Thus, it didn't take much convincing to get me to change my plans for today so I would have a little more quiet time with the Lord.

And God did meet me at Panera Bread, just as he said he would.

I started by praying for the team from my church that is currently on a mission trip in Cambodia, and then I started into Friday's My Utmost for His Highest devotional. Nothing different there, that's my normal routine. I typically start my quiet time with Chambers' devotional for the day. And I immediately saw that God was going to have a lot to say to me through Friday's devotional. Here's what it said:

September 12
"Ye know not what ye ask."
Matthew 20:22

There are times in spiritual life when there is confusion, and it is no way out to say that there ought not to be confusion. It is not a question of right and wrong, but a question of God taking you by a way which in the meantime you do not understand, and it is only by going through the confusion that you will get at what God wants.


The Shrouding of His Friendship. Luke 11:5-8. Jesus gave the illustration of the man who looked as if he did not care for his friend, and He said that that is how the Heavenly Father will appear to you at times. You will think He is an unkind friend, but remember He is not; the time will come when everything will be explained. There is a cloud on the friendship of the heart, and often even love itself has to wait in pain and tears for the blessing of fuller communion. When God looks completely shrouded, will you hang on in confidence in Him?

The Shadow of His Fatherhood. Luke 11:11-13. Jesus says there are times when your Father will appear as if He were an unnatural father, as if He were callous and indifferent, but remember He is not; I have told you--"Everyone that asketh receiveth." If there is a shadow on the face of the Father just now, hang onto it that He will ultimately give His clear revealing and justify himself in all that He permitted.

The Strangeness of His Faithfulness. Luke 18:1-8. "When the Son of Man cometh, shall He find faith on the earth?" Will He find the faith which banks on Him in spite of the confusion? Stand off in faith believing that what Jesus said is true, though in the meantime you do not understand what God is doing. He has bigger issues at stake than the particular things you ask.


Wow. That grabbed my immediate and full attention.

And God wasn't finished yet.

I opened up The Power of a Praying Woman, which I sometimes use as a guideline to get me started in my prayer time, and here is some of what the next prayer said:

Lord, I put my future in Your hands and ask that You would give me total peace about it. I don't want to be trying to secure my future with my own plans. I want to be in the center of Your plans, knowing that You have given me everything I need for what is ahead. I pray You would give me strength to endure without giving up."


Then, through time in His Word and some entries from Come Away My Beloved, God reminded me that he hasn't forgotten me and left me to handle some issues alone. I'm still very much on his radar, so to speak. He is very aware of every detail in my life and every promise he has made, and he won't forget about me. As crazy as it may seem sometimes to trust Him, he's far more trustworthy than anything I could ever have faith in here on this earth!

So I would encourage you, if you're like me and slipped a little bit in spending quality time with the Lord each day, get back on track. It really isn't as hard to do as it sometimes seems. Make the sacrifice. Take some time to be alone with the Lord and spend time in His presence. Go meet with Him. He'll meet you there. I promise.

4 comments:

Justin said...

That's good. I hope I don't miss opportunities because I'm too busy keeping commitments to hear the Lord. Disciplined life is good, but I suppose the Lord doesn't mind disrupting that to be able to spend some time with us.

Liz Overton said...

Justin said, "Disciplined life is good, but I suppose the Lord doesn't mind disrupting that to be able to spend some time with us."

Yeah, and that's been a lesson it's taken me a while to learn. I used to be very adamant about following a strict schedule to a T, particularly in high school and my freshman year of college. I'm still not the most flexible person in the world when it comes to changing plans, but I'm doing much, much better. I'm slowly learning to be more interruptable. ;)

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate you stopping by to read my blog!

Sheila Atchley said...

Thanks for this, Liz. No matter how long we've been walking with the Father, this is a necessary "word" to our lives. I SOOOOOO miss you, girl!

Liz Overton said...

I miss you, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment! That encourages me. :)

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14