Thursday, September 25, 2008

Natural sounds tour of UT

In one of my journalism classes this semester, we are training to be "backpack journalists." Backpack journalist is a newer term for "one-man band." And that pretty much sums up what BPJs do. They report the story, shoot the video, and edit the package--the whole deal.

This is my first "practice" assignment. We had to make a 60-second video tour of UT with only natural sound as audio. I worked with my friend and classmate Brittany Hodge on the project. We had fun working on it even though it took a lot longer than we anticipated to shoot all the video (but hey, we have plenty of campus b-roll that we can use for future assignments). We went out as a team to help each other with finding shots, using the camera, etc., but shot our own video and edited our own assignments. And as I discovered when I was shooting another assignment on my own yesterday, it helps to have an extra set of arms to carry equipment across campus. ;)

Thankfully this assignment was ungraded. The purpose was to give us some experience in shooting video and editing with Final Cut Pro before our graded assignments (working on my first one of those right now). And the video isn't perfect. Somehow we managed to change the setting from full-screen to widescreen, thus the last few frames in my video are in widescreen when the rest of it is not (we're supposed to record in full-screen). And I lost some good video shots because our audio either wasn't plugged in properly or wasn't turned up enough.

But anyway, if you're curious to see some of what I'm learning, here's a sample of my work as an amateur videographer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Watching these images brought back memories for me. I sooooooo remember walking those streets, sitting outside studying, and taking a nap on the couch of the University Center. Keep up the good work, Liz!

Tim Atchley said...

Hey Liz,

We miss you on Sundays! Are you getting the CD's?

Keep blogging.

Liz Overton said...

I miss being at church on Sundays!! Yes, I am getting the CDs. Thanks so much for making sure those get to me. I look forward to seeing them come in the mail. I listen to them on my drive to campus and back. It's nice to be able to hear the message on the CD, read it on your blog, and still receive the encouragement/challenges from the message when I am unable to be there for the service.

Sheila Atchley said...

Excellent job! I miss you, dear!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14