Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bring on 2009!

Happy 2009!

I've heard several people say that they are very thankful to see 2008 come to an end, and I have to agree. While I didn't face challenging circumstances on the scale of many others I know, I still dealt with enough personal struggles and interesting circumstances to make me happy to see 2009 come around. 2008, for me, was a year filled with the good, the bad, and a whole lot of the confusing.

My personal word from the Lord for 2008 was to intensely seek after the Lord for direction. I felt like God told me to persistently seek after direction from Him and keep pressing in. Yes, we need to do that all the time--and I do--but this was different. I felt like this was on a deeper level, specifically for 2008. God told me I would receive the direction I need, but not as the result of a quick five-minute prayer. It would be the result of persistent prayer, digging into the Word and seeking God. A few weeks into January, Joe Ewen gave me a word that confirmed this to me.

And God wasn't kidding! I really needed direction from the Lord in a number of areas this year, and I received a great deal of it. Some of it I've been able to act on or see God move in, a lot of it I'm still waiting for God to orchestrate and act on. Most of it is all Him anyway! I just follow along and let Him lead.

And that's not to say that throughout the entire year I sought his direction intently and instantly took everything He said to heart in faith. I slipped up numerous times, but overall, did keep it a top priority for the entire year.

Consequently, 2008 was a year of learning to trust God at a whole new level and have faith that He is going to move--in His time--even when in the natural it seems like I have nothing to go on.

And some of that ties into what I believe God is saying to me about 2009. As I began to seek the Lord about 2009, I felt like he told me to work on what my mouth is doing. That obviously needs to be expounded on and God did give me a better idea of what he was talking about. Yes, I believe that means I need to work on less whining, complaining, pointless conversation, etc.--but more importantly, I feel like God is telling me to cultivate a thankful heart and use my lips to joyfully bring Him praise at all times. Even in those circumstances where He has yet to move. I even believe praise especially needs to be my response in those circumstances. I need to be praising Him in faith that He will keep His promises, even before they come to pass. I need to praise Him for His grace, faithfulness, and goodness in my life and for who He is, with a particular focus on thankfulness. Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks--so cultivating a thankful heart will be a top priority. As with last year's word, this is obviously something I need to be doing and continually working on at all times. But I believe I'm supposed to make it a top priority and take it to a higher level in the coming year.

The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
~ Psalm 28:7


I share a lot of this with the hope that those of you near me will hold me accountable to this. ;) If you catch me whining or acting depressed and frustrated, please don't hesitate to knock some sense into me and remind me to praise the Lord no matter what circumstances I may find myself in. I mean that.


And that's a summary of some of what God has been speaking to my heart for 2009. I am really believing that 2009 will be a great year and I can't wait to see what God does in and through my life--and the lives of those around me--in the coming year. :)

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.
~ Psalm 13:5-6

2 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

Beautiful One,

I do believe that "watching our mouth" and being grateful are two areas we ALL need to focus on in 2009!

Watching your life is a joy. God will keep His every promise to you! You are a delight to all who know you.

Grace to you in '09!

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

This was great Liz, thank you for sharing :) Keep pressing in!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14