Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watching history with mixed feelings

Today, Barack Obama became the first African-American president of the United States. His swearing-in was definitely a moment for the history books, particularly with our country's not-so-distant history of racial discrimination and segregation. I was proud to see that many people in our country have set aside the past and embraced our new leader, regardless of the color of his skin.

But despite the historical significance, I watched the inauguration today with a somber feeling. While I'm proud that our country has made a large step toward healing some of the grievious past racial sins we committed, I simply cannot agree with many of President Obama's policies, particularly on issues such as abortion. The thought of what his election could mean for the unborn in our country is sobering.

However, I don't have a woe-is-me or this-is-the-end-of-the-world feeling about it all. While I don't agree with President Obama on many key issues, that does not mean he will not have my support and respect as the leader of this country. More importantly, he will be in my prayers. My God is a God of miracles and it is certainly well within his power to change someone's heart. God wasn't surprised when Obama was elected and the Bible makes it clear that God establishes leaders in the positions they are in (Romans 13:1). God can use anyone--even leaders not living for Him--to accomplish His purposes.

Sadly, I must confess that I have not prayed for our country's leaders in the past as much as I should have. I think having a president in office for the past eight years who professes to be a Christian and supported many Christian values, unfortunately, led me to relax some and not pray as I should have. Some of our nation's recent events have served as a wake-up call in my life to be on my knees daily--multiple times a day--for our nation and its leaders. The Bible makes it very clear that we should be praying constantly for all of our leaders and I've asked the Lord's forgiveness for failing to do that. In an election year marked by a cry for change and new beginnings, it is my prayer that this "change" and reawakening in my prayer life will stay with me and that I won't make the same mistakes again. I want to stand in the gap and serve as a watchman on the walls for our nation, not simply be part of the crowd, oblivious to the potential dangers around me.

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and for all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2


If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14