Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A white surprise




Sometimes I think God likes to keep us guessing what the weather is going to be like around here.

I was startled this morning to stumble out of bed and start getting ready for class, only to look outside the back door and see a blanket of white! We had about 3/4 - 1 inch of accumulation at my house in West Knoxville.

UT didn't cancel or delay classes (surprise, surprise--it takes an act of God to shut that place down!), but I made the decision to delay my classes by skipping my first one. The roads near my house were reportedly messy, so since my voice instructor doesn't take attendance, I decided to stay home. I enjoy the class, but with snow and an inauguration to watch, I decided to skip today.

My health instructor kindly canceled class because of the snow and the inauguration, so I didn't have to go to class until this afternoon. I'm glad she canceled class, because *sheepish grin* I was going to skip it anyway. I never skip class--but I decided yesterday that I was willing to skip class to watch the inauguration. They only come once every four years, after all--and this one has even more historical elements to it than normal.

So I got to enjoy the snow a little bit this morning. :)

I love the special touch snow gives everything. That blanket of white adds a serene, pleasant feel to everything that gives the entire day a peaceful air. I also enjoyed watching the wind blow the snow around. It looked like tiny grains of sugar were swirling around in my backyard!

Here are some of the photos I snapped in my yard while the snow was still fresh (my mom took the pictures I'm in).

My car covered in snow

Some trees and plants in our yard

The front yard and the street in front of my house

My little brother and me

I tried to throw a snowball at him, but the snow was too powdery

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah for you! What a perfect day to "skip class." A snowy day is WORTH skipping class. Kirkhaven was wonderfully snowy, too.

It encourages me to see your interest in national affairs. And your heart to pray for our nation.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14